"(...) One evening I was sitting in the wings waiting to go on but
just before I went on Sir John Gielgud used to come down because he had an entrance
just a bit a before me and I was sitting rather gloomily in the wings and he said "What's
the matter with you, you're sitting there looking like Hamlet, in deep deep thought" and
I said "I'm getting so depressed, do you think I'm going to go on playing nothing but
children for the rest of my career?" And he laughed, and then came his cue and he went
on. I say this because I was by then I was 17 or 18 and still playing children. I was very
small, I looked very young and it really looked as if this was going to happen. Anyway
same scenario, he came down about a week later, waiting to go on and suddenly he
looked at me and said "I read a very nice play today, a very good play, by John Van
Druten and I said to Binkie 'You ought to cast Muriel as the girl'" And he looked at me
he said "It's alright, it's not a child, it's an ingenue role!"
(Muriel Pavlow, attrice; Lewisham, 27 giugno 1921 – Londra, 19 gennaio 2019)

Nessun commento:
Posta un commento